Oh boy, this weather has been super gloomy and cold. Schools are out today and everyone has been grocery shopping. I literally had to go to four different grocery stores to get some milk. Anyways, my grocery duties are over for this weekend, and I can finally sit here to enjoy my hot chocolate!
I am not a big fan of store bought hot chocolate. It’s always either really watery or too sweet. So, I started making hot chocolate at home. It’s great for when you have family and friends over, or when you just need to sit down and unwind. I am going to share my recipe of rich and spicy hot chocolate, because who doesn’t love hot chocolate?
I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to your feedback!
Thank you for sticking with me on this new journey of blogging!
Rich & Spicy Hot Chocolate
Yield Amount: 4 cups Hot Chocolate, 2.5 cup Coconut Whipped Cream
Prep Time: 7 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 17 minutes
1 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
⅜ teaspoon ancho chile powder, or to taste
3 ¾ cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
1 cinnamon stick or cinnamon powder
2 whole star anise
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Marshmallows or whipped cream (optional)
Coconut Whipped Cream
1 14-ounce can coconut cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- On medium heat, in a saucepan add whole milk and heavy cream (evaporated milk). Slightly bring it to boil.
- Add chocolate chips and whisk till the chocolate chips began to melt.
- Add cinnamon stick, whole star anise and ancho chile powder
- Let it shimmer for a few minutes.
- Serve hot or add whipped cream and marshmallows (completely optional. But, I love whipped cream so I am going to share that as well).
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Chill your coconut cream in the refrigerator overnight, be sure not to shake or tip the can once it’s in the fridge. It prevents the separation of the cream from liquid.
- The next day, chill a large mixing bowl 10 minutes before whipping.
- Remove the coconut cream or milk from the fridge without tipping or shaking and remove the lid.
- Place hardened cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer until creamy.
- Add vanilla (optional) and powdered sugar and mix until creamy and smooth – about 1 minute. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- Use immediately or refrigerate.